History

On February 14th, 1947, ten men petioned the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Ancient Freemasons of South Carolina to form a new Lodge in Murrells Inlet.


These ten men,

• William Carl Causey of Franklin Lodge #96 in Charleston

• Willie Seamore White of St. James Lodge #275 in McClellanville

• Homer Ernest Lee of Myrtle Beach Lodge #353

• Herman K. Wilson of Clinton Lodge #60 in Marion

• Jesse T. Smith of Graddy Lodge #257 in Aynor

• John W. Gordon of Myrtle Beach Lodge #353

• Ernest Hanson Lee of Washington Lodge #5 in Charleston

• Harry L. Marlow of Winyah Lodge #40 in Georgetown

• Edwin Oliver Fulton of Myrtle Beach Lodge #353 and

• Jesse L. Hughes of Indiantown Lodge #165 in Hemingway,


These ten regular Masons came together with the hope and dream of bringing the Brotherly Love and Fellowship of Freemasonry to our young community.


They came together as men to work.


On February 21st, 1947, Carl W. Rogers, Secretary of Myrtle Beach Lodge #353 certified that the nearest Lodge to Murrells Inlet, Myrtle Beach Lodge #353, had recommended that this petioned be granted. WBro. J. M. Long, WM of Myrtle Beach Lodge #353 certified that "he had carefully examined the building and hall to be used as a meeting place and found them to be secure and suitable for Masonic purposes."


RWBro. T. J. Perritt, DDGM of the 25th Masonic District certified that Bro. William Carl Causey, nominated for Worshipful Master, Bro. Willie Seamore White, nominated for Senior Warden, and Bro. Homer Ernest Lee, nominated for Junior Warden, had appeared before a board consisting of WBro. Frank Collins, PM of Myrtle Beach Lodge #353, WBro. J.M Long, WM of Myrtle Beach Lodge #353 and himself and that they "had undergone an examination and proved themselves thoroughly conversant with the Ritual of the Three Degree and the Constitution of the Grand Lodge of South Carolina."


On February 25th, 1947, Dispensation to Open a New Lodge in Murrells Inlet was granted by MWBro. A. J. M. Wannamaker, Most Worshipful Grand Master of Ancient Freemasons of South Carolina and MWBro. O. Frank Hart, PGM, Grand Secretary. By virtue of the powers vested by the Ancient Constitutions of the Order, they "authorized and empowered Bro. William Carl Causey to act as Worshipful Master, Bro. Willie Seamore White to act as Senior Warden, and Bro. Homer Ernest Lee to act as Junior Warden under our jurisdiction at Murrells Inlet in a Lodge to be known as Murrells Inlet Lodge Number U.D."


On April 4th, 1947, the first Regular Stated Communication of Murrells Inlet Lodge U.D. was opened on the Third Degree of Masonry.


Officers present were:


William Carl Causey

Worshipful Master

E. O. Fulton

Senior Deacon

Willie Seamore White

Senior Warden

John W. Gordon

Junior Deacon

Homer Ernest Lee

Junior Warden

Ernest H. Lee

Steward

W. H. Skinner

acting Treasurer

E. O. Fulton

Chaplain

Carl W. Rogers

acting Secretary

Jesse L. Hughes

Tiler


With this act, Freemasonry became firmly established in Murrells Inlet.


It is important that we remember these Brothers. They are our roots here. They are our beginning. They came together as men and set lofty goals for both themselves and for all those who might travel that same Masonic Road.


On April 10th, 1947, the Myrtle Beach News – Coastal Carolinian reported on our first meeting in a Front Page article.


It stated in part:


“This occasion commemorating the establishment of the Murrells Inlet Lodge proved highly successful and enjoyable. It was evident that this organization would serve as an inspiration to the community and would bring leadership and organization in civic affairs to the rapidly growing town of Murrells Inlet.”


Murrells Inlet Lodge U.D. wasted no time in getting started. Petitions for Degrees were read at that very first meeting. On May 8th, 1947, we conferred our first Entered Apprentice Degree. Our first two Candidates were Gemmell Henry Lokey and Robert Thomas Boone.


Entered Apprentice Degrees were also held in July, August, September, and October of that year. Masons were being made and raised almost monthly as we rapidly progressed and grew.


On April 9th, 1948, at a Special Communication, the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Ancient Freemasons of South Carolina was opened in ample form on the Third Degree of Masonry in Murrells Inlet.


Officers present were:


MWBro. James F. Risher

Grand Master

W.T. Johnson

Senior Deacon

RWBro. Homer M. Pace

Deputy Grand Master

W.C. Floyd

Junior Deacon

N. R. Nane

acting Senior Warden

A.W. Cooper

Steward

J. O. Cartrette

acting Junior Warden

T.A. Rhenark

Steward

WBro. Carl W. Rogers

acting Treasurer

S.C. Dusenberry

Tiler

RWBro. O. Frank Hart

Grand Secretary

RWBro. H. Dwight McCallister

Grand Chaplain


Under a Charter issued by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Ancient Freemasons of South Carolina on March 11th, 1948, the following Officers were installed in the new Murrells Inlet Lodge #368:


William Carl Causey

Worshipful Master

E. O. Fulton

Senior Deacon

Willie Seamore White

Senior Warden

J. W. Gordon

Junior Deacon

Homer Ernest Lee

Junior Warden

John Ed Byrd

Steward

Harry E. Bailey

Treasurer

Homer Woodward

Steward

J. W. Murdock

Secretary

Jesse L. Hughes

Tiler

D. B. Pendergrass

Chaplain


After installations, the Lodge was then closed in ample form, followed by an Oyster Roast at Lokey’s Place.


At a Special Communication on May 22nd, 1954, Grand Lodge was again opened in ample form in Murrells Inlet, but this time on the First Degree of Masonry.


The purpose of this Special Communications, and the reason for opening in the First Degree, was to dedicate our new Lodge Building here on Collins Ave. in a manner in which all members could attend. A past history of the Lodge presented at this Special Communication revealed that while there had been talk of building a new Masonic Temple in Murrells Inlet for the past six years, little had been done until the Stated Communication of February 5th, 1954. At that meeting the Lodge gave the authority to the Building Committee “to provide and build the Temple”.


The Stated Communication for March 5th, 1954, held just 28 days later, was in the same Masonic Temple we enjoy today.


As we gather together around the altar of Friendship and Brotherly Love wherever we may travel, we should remember these Brothers and the good work they have done. They have provided us with the Working Tools we enjoy today that we might continue to work the designs they have placed on the Trestleboard as well as all of those who have gone this way before us.